So it’s Mother’s day. One of the most precious non-holidays all year. Maybe you didn’t get the day off but hopefully you got to spend some time with Mom today. Even if you didn’t start her off with a rose hued smoothie to jump start her day we still got you covered with 3 vegan snacks for mothers day. Make her remember why you’re her favorite. The best part is you don’t have to only make these scrumptious, easy vegan snacks today, you can whip them up all year.
HUMMA HUMMA HUMMUS
- 2 cups drained canned chickpeas (you can cook your own but make sure they are cooked until tender)
- 1 tbs coconut oil
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves peeled garlic, or to taste
- 1 tbs lemon, more to taste
- Salt and cayenne to taste
- 1 tbs ground cumin
- 1/2 tbs paprika
- Basil, sunflower seeds or any other preferred topping for garnish
- Put the chickpeas, coconut oil, olive oil, garlic and lemon juice, cumin & paprika, in a food processor, sprinkle with salt and cayenne and process; adding the chickpeas to create a smooth purée. Add a little water to smooth it out further.
- Serve, drizzled with some olive oil, and garnish with the basil, sunflower seeds and any preferred topping.
TURMERIC BUTTER POPCORN
- 12-16 cups freshly popped popcorn
- 5 tbsp softened cold-pressed, coconut oil
- 2 tbsp virgin cold pressed olive oil
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 sea salt
- Combine and melt your coconut oil, olive oil, turmeric and sea salt in a shallow saucepan. Stir carefully just until heated and melted being careful not to burn the mixture.
- Pour over freshly popped popcorn. Add more salt to taste or dried herbs for garnish.
BLUEBERRY SMOOTHIE BOWL
- 1 cup frozen bluberries
- 1 small frozen banana
- 1 stalk kale
- 1/2 cup frozen mango
- 1/2 cup frozen strawberries
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- a couple sliced strawberries
- a couple fresh banana slices
- 3 blackberries
- 1/4 granola of your choice (optional)
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut (unsweetened)
- Drizzle of agave or raw honey (optional)
- In a blender, add blueberries, banana, kale, mango, strawberries and a splash of almond milk. A lesser known tip is that adding the softer ingredients first makes it easier to blend since your blades are able to move more freely. Blend on low until larger chunks are broken down, then gradually increase speed, adding a more almond milk at a time. Blend for 20 seconds until smooth. Pour into a bowl of your choice.
- Add topping, arranging each one diagonally lengthwise. Drizzle with agave or raw honey.